A Pillow for Grandma


First, a few notes about my Grandma.

*I won't reveal her age here, but she's a great-grandma to my two little kids, and she just babysat my 1 1/2 year old for three nights!  Yes, she is very spry and ambitious.  I got lucky!

*She has packed our lives with wonderful memories, because she spoiled each of us silly! (and still does)

*She is a wonderful cook.  Likes all shades of purple mauve and burgundy.  Does NOT like yellow!  She's very ticklish.  That was one of the only rules I remember from her.  If I tried to tickle her under the arms, she'd turn 'no-nonsense' pretty quick!

Now a few notes about the pillow.

*This was my Christmas gift for Grandma.

*I realized I had more purples in my stash than I thought.  It helped that I just won that FQ bundle of Innocent Crush!

*I used Essex Linen in Sand for the background and back.

*Used a purple invisible zipper, and hand quilted with perle cotton.

*Here's the tutorial for the Dresden Plate.

And it just so happens that Rachel of Stitched In Color is having a Blogger's Pillow Party, so I'm entering this pillow in the contest.



26 comments:

  1. it's beautiful... perfect combination of 'modern' and 'Grandma-ish' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling all over my keyboard thanks to this pillow!! OMG!! Put it on flicker already so I can Fave it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i so love the embroidery in the center! The Blogger's Pillow Party logo isn't showing up right, I believe. Try copy and pasting the code into the "edit html" tab of your post. It's working for me. Thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Oh, I miss my grandmas :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is so pretty! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so lovely! What gorgeous colours and I love the dresden plate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- Hope Valley, AB Love, and Innocent Crush all in one pillow- those are hard collections to mix with other fabrics but you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. its really beautiful. What a nice way to say THANK YOU to grandmas. Sweet...

    Svenja

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you to have such a wonderful Grandmother.
    The pillow is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! The hand quilting is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a cute pillow. I hope your Grandma loves it. Good luck in the pillow contest

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love! The hand quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this:) You and Grandma are both very lucky:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really amazing! I love everything about it! I'm sure your grandma can't get enough of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing pillow! I know she just loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I love the story
    Ok, I love the color combo
    Ok, I love the handstiching
    Ok, I love the handwriting

    But the heart? Damn it, the heart just makes everything too much :))) I love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it - so clever and cute and perfect for a Grandma. She must be thrilled!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this pillow and the story behind -- so, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pillow might be for grandma, but it ain't yer grandma's pillow! So modern and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your win! This pillow is so gorgeous! I love the fabrics.

    Love your blog too. I've bookmarked a couple of projects I want to make. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was my pick! You deserve. Hand stitching rocks. ; )

    ReplyDelete