well, i tried to get a few full photos of my massive swoon quilt. it's tough though. none of my regular spots properly accomodate a king sized quilt. and my five-year-old is so helpful, but i guess he can't hold up a quilt that's three times as tall as him.
and then spring missed the memo that it was supposed to show up here, so we're still hunkered down with snow and freezing weather.
anyways, it's interesting to me to see this whole quilt in a photo like this. somehow it always looks a bit different than in real life. i think i like it better for reals than the way it looks here. somehow the blocks don't seem to blend so well here, but when i see it on my bed, it totally works.
and yes! i seem to be making one of those scrappy trip quilts... i rarely join quiltalongs, and if i do i'm usually months late, starting when most folks are about finished!
i had no intention of making this one. i've got so many other ideas, not to mention projects already started. i watched these quilts being made, i thought they were neat, but maybe i liked the Scrap Vomit style a bit better? i even tried making one block and decided i didn't like making them.
enough said. then the other day i ran across this one, not sure why but that was the tipping point for me and i knew i was making one of these quilts.
i analyzed many of my favorites to figure out how to get the look i wanted. here's what i decided.
*I wanted the blocks to merge together so that you couldn't readily distinguish one block from another.
*although i love the totally scrappy look, i wanted this one to have just a bit of a color scheme.
i knew that to make the blocks merge together i would need to think about value. i decided to use mostly medium value fabrics (as in 90%) the other 10% could be darker values. so for example, one block would be all medium values, then the next one would have one strip of dark valued fabric, then the next one would be all medium values again. Of course i'm using values very loosely here, no over analysing, just a general rule of thumb.
for my colors I wanted to go with warm citrusy colors. yellows, oranges, pinks, greens, and then here and there a bit of aqua, a bit of warm purples...
and then over all this, always the understanding that my own rules are meant to be broken! so if i decide to add a strip of white fabric, i will! if i decide i want some red, or some true blue, i will! because that's what makes quilting fun!
and i decided that i like making these blocks after all! mainly because for each block i get to scrounge around and decide which fabrics to include. and then when the block is done, the final pressing and placing it next to the other blocks already made...so satisfying!!!