Hi there, quilty friends! It's been quiet here, seems like I've been doing everything else but quilting these days! I don't have anything finished to show you, but thought I'd give a little update on a few projects.
Above you will see my first needleturn applique! So when Gwen Marston's Liberated Medallion Quilts
book came out, I bought it. Of course I love her free and liberating way of making a medallion quilt. The thought of designing my own is so exciting! My fave medallion quilts in this book, and others I've seen, all have an applique center. Hmmm....
Couple this with the fact that I knew I'd be on a long airplane flight, I decided to try my hand at this scary technique. I watched a few tutorials on how to do it, and then just drew out my shapes, basted them on to my background and away I went! I just made up my own shapes, not wanting to do anything too fiddly and pointy. I'm not quite done yet, have a few more leaves and flower petals to add, and then I can start adding pieced rows around this centre block.
p.s. if you follow the above link for Gwen's book, it will take you to Amazon. If you happen to purchase this book through this link, I make a few cents, just for your info:)
Next up is one that I'm slowly working at hand quilting. It's for a special specific someone, I was trying to blend my tastes with hers, so hopefully it will be a success!
Now in a totally different direction is this arrow quilt, made completely from Chicopee from Denyse Schmidt. Awhile back I spied this pattern in a new magazine. Unfortunately it didn't seem to be available in Canada, but another kind quilter lady sent me an extra copy.
I love this quilt design, although I wouldn't say I loved following patterns that take lots of cutting of different sized pieces. I think it will be worth it in the end though!
You can find the author of this pattern, and the magazine it's in, over here.
And then an update on McElligot's Pool! Way back, I pulled together a stack of fabric inspired by this book by Dr. Suess. I talked about this quilt here and here. So I made the above blocks, and then I just wasn't sure about it. So I put it away. Every once in a while I'd get these blocks out and stare at them, trying to figure out why they weren't going with the elusive vision I had in my head of how this quilt was supposed to look.
Then one day I realized that I needed waaaaay more of the light blues. The darker colors should be more of an accent, kind of like the fish swimming around, and the shades of blue should be a majority of the quilt. So I started making a bunch more blocks with blue on blue. I also decided I wanted some creamy prints as well, so I started adding lighter fabrics. (by now I was using way more fabrics than I had in my original pile)
So it's looking a bit better, but still not right. I put it away for awhile again, but I've been determined that this quilt will get to the finish line sometime yet! If for no other reason than that so many of you are rooting for it! So a week or two ago I was reading this same story to my kids again, and when I got to this page, I realized that what I needed was - still more blue - still more creamy lights - but ALSO I need way more of the light peachy pink. More shades, more different fabrics, the light blue and the light peach need to make up at least half of the quilt! So now I'll get to work making more blocks and veering more towards these colors and we'll see how it goes!
So that's it for the little update, and hopefully I'll soon have something done to show you!